First win for new club Fluxton FC
Fluxton FC 5, Tipton St John Res 1
D and E League Div 7
New team Fluxton FC, who play at Tipton St John Playing Fields, won their first Devon and Exeter League fixture - against Tipton St John Reserves, writes Steve Howe.
Despite the team having an ‘is he past it?’ look about it - Foster in goal, a back four of Long, Santer (Jnr), Searle and Butcher, Bidder and Howe on the flanks, Rapps (snr), Paget (snr) and Amey (snr) in the middle, and Mike Bott up front - and having played no pre season friendlies, they were soon 1-0 up against the younger, and smaller, Tipton side.
Searle put Fluxton ahead against the run of play with Tipton’s Johnny Beer levelling before half time.
You may also want to watch:
After the break Bott soon scored, and Fluxton continued to turn the screw. Bott nearly scored again before Ed Santer made it 3-1.
Club founder and skipper Alex Paget won a first and second ball, surged through a gap and finished powerfully from 18 yards. It was a crowd-pleasing moment from the club-founder, who spent the celebration counting how many match balls were left and wondering whether the club had enough cash surplus to pay the ref!
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 4 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 5 Virtual donkey day out on Easter Sunday
- 6 Ella's walks raise more than £3,000 for brain tumour research
- 7 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 8 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 9 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 10 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
Mark Nowell came off the bench to show tidy skills, Howe to inexplicably fall over unchallenged and Fluxton to add a fifth. Bidder switched to the right where he capped a fine performance by driving the perfect cross through Mike Bott’s step-over to force an own goal.
Unanimous Man of the Match was Mark Searle, who scored the first and then dominated at the back.
The next FFC fixture is on September 8, away to Starcross Generals.