Fishermen net first win as they sixy with visiting Exmouth Amateurs

Beer Albion at home to Exmouth Ammies. shsp 44-16TI 0725. Picture: Terry Ife

Beer Albion at home to Exmouth Ammies. shsp 44-16TI 0725. Picture: Terry Ife - Credit: Archant

Beer Albion got their first league points of the season with a 6-1 trouncing of Exmouth Amateurs at the Furzebrake on Saturday, writes Richard Honnor.

After five successive defeats, the Fishermen finally got their season afloat sweeping the visitors aside with some fine attacking football.

With former Exeter City centre back and Beer village resident Pat Baldwin making a rare appearance, the Fishermen looked assured in defence from the outset and his leadership and experience had a positive influence across the whole team which was otherwise unchanged from the side which has had such a difficult start to the season.

But they were made to work hard early on as the Ammies started brightly.

Only a desperate block by Beer defender Andrew Foster on 14 minutes prevented the visitors taking the lead.

You may also want to watch:

This spurred Beer into life and a minute later a Richard Walker lob was palmed around the post by Ammies keeper Bradley Evans.

The Fishermen were now beginning to play some flowing football through the midfield something which has been lacking recently and after a such a move on 21 minutes involving 12 passes Walker’s effort on goal slid narrowly wide of the post. Beer’s Chris Long looking comfortable in a more forward role was linking well with striker Richard Walker and he went close on 24 minutes after a neat interchange between the two.

Most Read

Then a minute later Long found Walker with a great through ball but Beer striker’s effort was turned round the post by the excellent visiting goalkeeper Evans.

From the resulting corner Beer took the lead. The Ammies defence’s partial clearance was intercepted by Foster whose punt into the box was deflected by Long’s head into the net.

However, just as they seemed to be in full control the Fishermen were dealt a cruel blow on 30 minutes!

Home glovesman Mark Rooke came out to gather a high ball he appeared to be fouled as he took a heavy challenge in mid air from an Exmouth forward. With Rooke now lying injured on the ground, the ball fell loose to Daniel Tapp who tucked the ball home from 18 yards.

Referee Philip Bialyk allowed the goal to stand despite strong protestations from the Beer players.

It looked ominous for the Fishermen as Rooke was helped off with an ankle injury to be replaced between the sticks by Shaun Denslow who is not a regular keeper, but Denslow had a couple of good early touches and warmed to the task as the first half drew to a close with honours even.

Beer started the second half strongly with Ammies keeper Evans again thwarting a Walker pile-driver with a fingertip save over the crossbar on 47 minutes.

Beer began to play some delightful flowing football and, with George Harwood and hard-working Simon Smith dominating the mid-field, the deservedly went in front on 54 minutes when a long pass from Baldwin found Walker who at last beat the Exmouth keeper from close range.

Seven minutes later, the Fishermen increased their lead when winger Luke Morrison chased a long clearance and shrugged off a strong challenge to force the ball home from close range. On 70 minutes another fine effort from Walker hit the base of the post and, five minutes later, Long went close with a header following good work and cross by substitute Jacob Clode.

As the visitors tired, Beer put in a storming finish. On 80 minutes Harwood made the score 4-1 with a crisp half-volley from Long’s neat flick-on.

A minute later, Clode scored Beer’s fifth with a powerful header at the far post from Harwood’s cross from the left. Just before the final whistle, Clode was again involved as he won the ball, for Long to set up Walker to place his shot past the keeper for his second and Beer’s sixth.

The Beer Man of the Match award was given on behalf of sponsors Beer Fish and Chips, to midfielder George Harwood. This Saturday (November 5), Beer entertain South Devon outfit East Allington Utd in the third round of the Throgmorton Devon Premier Cup.

Kick-off at the Furzebrake is at 2pm and the match sponsor is East Devon Physiotherapy at Sidford.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus