Fishermen net second win of league season with victory at Bow

Otterton at home to Kentisbeare. Ref shsp 40-16TI 9034. Picture: Terry Ife

Otterton at home to Kentisbeare. Ref shsp 40-16TI 9034. Picture: Terry Ife - Credit: Archant

In a foot-of-the-table clash on Saturday at Bow Village field, Beer Albion came out on top, defeating the home side 4-2 to register their second win of this season’s Macron League Premier Division campaign writes, Richard Honnor.

Although lacking somewhat in quality, it was a thrilling and at times quite physical contest with both sides showing plenty of passion and commitment.

The Fishermen were missing five key players through injury or unavailability plus manager Richard Walker, not fully fit, on the bench. Nevertheless, they started really well and were in complete control for the first 30 minutes with Man of the Match Simon Smith pulling the strings in midfield and their makeshift back three well-marshalled by Sam Phillips.

After creating three good opportunities in the first 10 minutes, it was no surprise when Beer went ahead on 18 minutes. Winger Luke Morrison whose pace was a threat to the Bow defence all afternoon provide a good cross from the left over the Bow keeper’s grasp for centre forward Chris Long ta tap in at the far post. Seven minutes later Beer went two up, when Morrison chased a long ball, rounded the keeper and scored from an acute angle.

On 30 minutes Smith’s in-swinging corner looked goal-bound, but was tipped on to the crossbar by Bow’s overworked keeper.

You may also want to watch:

The Fishermen continued carve out chances and should have put the game beyond doubt but Bow were given a lifeline on 35 minutes. A free-kick was floated into the penalty box where Beer failed to pick up players and the ball was tapped home to make the score 2-1.

This gave the home side a real boost and they started to win more of the ball in midfield with some robust tackling. Also the Fishermen’s defence started to drop deeper which gave more space for Bow’s forwards to run at them. However, with reserve keeper Michael Westlake commanding his area well, Beer held on to their 2-1 advantage at the break.

Most Read

The second half was very closely contested and Beer to their credit worked really hard to keep their noses in front and were now matching Bow’s physicality. Both sides had good chances before Beer increased their lead to 3-1 on 72 minutes when Morrison latched on to George Harwood’s through ball to hold off the Bow defender and deliver a composed finish past the home side’s advancing keeper.

But Bow were by no means finished and pulled the score back to 3-2 on 80 minutes with a perfectly executed free-kick from 25 yards swerving around Beer’s defensive wall into the to top right corner.

This set up a rousing finish and a late Bow equaliser looked likely as the Fishermen hung on desperately. Fortunately the pressure was relieved on 89 minutes when Beer caught Bow on the break and Long scored his second, beating the keeper from 15-yards to seal a hard-earned 4-2 win for the Fishermen.

Beer first team will be looking for their third league win of the season when they travel to Hatherleigh Town who sit one place above them in the table. Meanwhile, Beer second team, who drew 6-6 at Alphington on Saturday, have a tough home game against Division Five leaders Royal Oak.

Kick-off at the Furzebrake is at 2:15 and the match sponsor is Clinton Devon Estates.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus