Fishermen sunk by strengthened visitor’s

Beer at home to Chard. Ref shsp 05-16TI 0032. Picture: Terry Ife

Beer at home to Chard. Ref shsp 05-16TI 0032. Picture: Terry Ife - Credit: Archant

Beer Albion went down 3-0 in their Fresha league Premier Division meeting with Chard Town Reserves at Furzebrake, writes Mike Adkin.

With their first team out of action due to the weather, the Somerset side arrived with a strong side and chalked up what was only their second win of the season.

The game started badly for the Fishermen, when, in the fourth minute, a decent cross into their penalty area saw the Chard number seven rise unchallenged to head his side into an early lead.

Six minutes later Beer were unlucky not to have equalised when a well-struck free-kick by Chris Long flew just past the Chard keeper’s right hand post.

However, soon after, it required an excellent diving save to the right by Beer’s keeper Stephen Jones to prevent Chard increasing their lead.

You may also want to watch:

By now Chard were playing with far more urgency than Beer, and increasingly catching them on the break with some pacey attacking football.

However, in the 21st minute Beer were denied a clear penalty after a defender’s handball in the area was unseen by the referee. Beer then fell further behind in the 36th minute, when a ball into the goal are wasn’t dealt with by the defence, and the Chard number 11 struck to make it 2-0 to the visitors.

Most Read

The only other chance for Beer in the first half came in the 42nd minute when Callum Gribble headed just wide from a free-kick. Beer substitutes Martin Adkin and Charlie Clode were introduced early after half-time, but Beer continued to struggle to hold onto the ball for any length of time, and to be vulnerable to Chard’s speedy attacking moves.

However, Chris Long was again unlucky not to get onto the score sheet when his 58th minute pile driver of a shot cannoned back off the Chard crossbar.

Chard continued to create the most chances, and only a succession of good saves by keeper Jones kept the score at 2-0. Another good chance was lost for Beer to get back into the game in the 83rd minute when Jack White was unable to connect with an excellent ball into the Chard box from James Melville.

Chard then secured all three points five minutes from time after an unfortunate Beer own goal.

Next Saturday, the Furzebrake faithful will hope for a much improved performance when the Fishermen entertain high-flying Feniton in what should be an entertaining East Devon derby. Saturday’s match (February 6), is being sponsored by Messrs Peter Adkin, David Graham and Richard Honnor.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus