Fluxton eye up the title
Fluxton 6, Halwill 0
Defying character, Fluxton roamed from the off and was soon to establish dominance over an unbeaten opposition boasting straight wins from seven, writes Will Bidder.
The Flux backs found their wingers with fluency, enabling genuine pace to tear through the seams of a Halwill defence which was flat-footed for most of the match. A decisive ball from Boyd found Bidder who peeled his marker over half the length of the field and cruised a left footed cross into the six yard box to meet Tom Rapps’ hungry boot.
A second followed immediately, this time Butcher instinctively releasing Bidder with an outside-of-the-boot bending through-ball, who then threaded a penetrating ball to Rapps again.
With striker Searle denting the centre backs with raw muscle, Alex Paget found room to add a third with a marauding run which opened enough of an angle for a left footed romp which nestled in the top left of the goal.
You may also want to watch:
The Halwill goalkeeper made a strong penalty save to deny a Tom Rapps hat-trick, but the break soon followed, with praise given in abundance by the ever-loyal Fluxton support, despite Six Nations temptations.
The second half saw similar scenes. Marshalled fiercely by Burgess at the back, Long was able to manoeuvre space to link with the younger Paget and older Rapps, the latter enriching his goal haul with a composed finish for a Flux fourth.
- 1 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 4 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 5 Commemorative elm tree planted to mark National Tree Warden scheme's 30th anniversary
- 6 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 7 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 8 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 9 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 10 £12,500 donated to lockdown laptops for schools appeal
The assault on the Halwill defence continued, Paget releasing a long throw directly over the goal line, which would have chalked up a fifth had Rapps’ flying body managed to connect. But a fifth did follow when Winsor slotted inside the near post and a sixth followed.