Game on, with help from Salterton

PUBLISHED: 09:00 16 January 2009 | UPDATED: 12:13 17 June 2010

OTTERTON were the only Premier side to stage a game at the weekend.

OTTERTON were the only Premier side to stage a game at the weekend, albeit with the assistance of the ground staff at Greenway Lane, with Budleigh Salterton's surface beating the cold snap again thanks to the efforts of Andy Ellett and his helpers.Twice Otterton led in the game against the reserve team of the high flying Western League Premier Division side Wellington. Tim Wright put the Rollers ahead on 25 minutes but the Somerset side went in at the break all square.Simon Tuley then gave his side the lead for the second time but the more-than-competent visitors restored parity again with a quarter of an hour to play.A pivotal moment was the 85th minute dismissal of Otterton's Gary May, who saw red after picking up a second yellow card, and the visiting side took full advantage of having the extra man by notching what proved to be the winner a minute after the sending off.Otterton boss Richard Tapp will no doubt have been delighted his side got a game in when so many didn't.The Devon and Exeter League website is currently showing the Rollers as having no fewer than seven games to re-arrange and, given that the club operates with a small squad, and many of Tapp's players also play in the club's Sunday side, there are going to be some hectic latter season schedules for the men of Stantaway.On Saturday, Otterton make the short trip to take on title-chasing Exmouth Amateurs whilst the Reserves, who have not seen any form of action for three weeks, host Amory Argyle.l The Otterton Sunday side enjoyed a 7-2 Division Two victory at Phoenix Club thanks to a four goal haul from Tom Bishop. It took the hit man just three minutes to notch his first and he doubled his tally, and the side's lead, with a second in the 43rd minute.Seven minutes after the re-start Bishop was celebrating a hat-trick and, after the hosts scored a goal of their own, a Robbie Lambert brace and a fourth for Bishop took Otterton into an unassailable 6-1 lead.The hosts scored a second before Matty Cousins finished well from close range after a fine save by the home keeper. This was Cousins' first ever goal for the Otters and completed the scoring in a fine all round show from the side. Next up is Sunday's League Knockout Cup tie against Topsham Town A.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Sidmouth Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Sidmouth Herald