Viings face true test

PUBLISHED: 09:00 14 March 2008 | UPDATED: 16:40 14 April 2010

Topsham Town's big pitch held no horrors for Sidmouth Town who romped to a 5-2 victory, delighting manager Paul Ashford.

Topsham Town's big pitch held no horrors for Sidmouth Town who romped to a 5-2 victory, delighting manager Paul Ashford. Now he wants the side to show consistency when they meet Wellington at home this weekend and was praying that the rain would stop in time to allow the pitch to dry out. "The last thing we need is a cancellation as it stops us building on the previous performance," he said. Wellington, who are third from top in the Devon and Exeter Premier table, have scored 55 goals this season and will be a real test for the emerging Sidmouth side. The Vikings showed great spirit and team work against Topsham and were were 2-0 up by half time. Anthony Griffiths and Andy Thompson scored - all-round sportsman Griffiths heading in off a free kick. After the break, Topsham scored and there was a 10-minute spell when Ashford wondered if Topsham would come right back into the match. They tried hard but the Sidmouth defence, under the leadership of Glyn Pulman, held firm. The veteran player was brought in by Ashford as he rightly predicted an intimidating and physical clash. Young Dave Green upped the second half tempo, showing that he is really finding his feet at the this level, scoring two goals and Andy Thompson also scored, for a 5-1 lead. "Our front five tore them apart," Ashford added. "Topsham were flattered by the score as they added a goal right at the death." Jamie Harvey caught the eye with a solid performance at centre half and Tony West set a great example in midfield. Ashford thought it a terrific performance, both individually and collectively, and added: "It is all about players making themselves available and consistency in this league. We created plenty of chances and we just need to get a bit more clinical." New signing John Dack came on to replace Simon Hudson, and there is another new signing in the air. The Reserves were beaten 3-1 at home by Barnstaple Town, Jordan Cooper scoring the goal.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Sidmouth Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Sidmouth Herald