Fowler top scores as Sidmouth thirds are sunk at Hatherleigh
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth thirds suffered a 231-defeat when they travelled to face the B Division East table-topping outfit that are Hatherleigh 2nds.
Rob Fowler skippered the side and, when he won the toss, he invited the home side to bat. They got off to a flyer and the opening pair had taken the total to 191 before the breakthrough was finally made. It was teenager Jordan Fowler who bagged the opening wicket, courtesy of a catch behind by wicketkeeper Kenny Clay.
Another 46 runs were added before the second wicket was claimed with Craig Stephens holding the catch off the bowling of Luke Raistrick.
It was a session where the bat ruled and Sidmouth fielders spent plenty of time chasing the ball! To their credit they never let their heads drop and they did manage to pick up five wickets in all before the Hatherleigh innings ended on 322-5 after 45 overs.
Will Bright returned the most economical figures with his return being 1-33 from seven overs. Rob Fowler (1-33 from six), Jordan Fowler (1-63 from nine), Luke Raistrick (1-63 from nine) and Louis Adey (1-69 from nine), were the other wicket takers.
You may also want to watch:
The Sidmouth reply made for grim reading at stumps with just one batsman getting into double figures. That was young Jordan Fowler who actually scored 40 per cent of his team’s total!
Batting at number six, young Fowler top scored with 36 before he was run out having scored five fours from the 57 deliveries that he faced.
- 1 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 2 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 3 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 4 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 5 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 6 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
- 7 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 8 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 9 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 10 Talking Newspapers set to restart service
The next best was the nine scored by Leigh Adey, though there were also 28 extras in the Sidmouth reply of 91 all out in 24 overs.
Tomorrow (July 15) Sidmouth 3rds host Shobrooke Park at Newton Poppleford looking to avenge an eight wicket defeat they suffered at Shobrooke on matchday two of the season.