Tipton St John 0, East Budleigh 1
Tipton went into this game on the back of a 7-0 defeat to Premier leaders Feniton in a Cup Match last week and took a few minutes to get some rhythm going before an early effort from Lee Strawbridge which went just over the bar, writes Richard Williams.
There was a scrappy period of play from both sides before Hadyn Banfield, James Gosney and Neil Gooding had chances. Lee Strawbridge had a shot saved and shortly after Tipton created the move of the match. Banfield collected the ball at left back and ran with it cutting in field and passing to Ash Holding who passed it back to him where he had continued his run onto the right wing. He crossed to the far post where Jody Freeman headed back across the goal. This led to a goal line clearance for a corner.
East Budleigh did not have one meaningful effort in the first half and it was fairly apparent that the only likelihood of them scoring was from a set piece and this proved to be the case on 54 minutes when, they took the lead from a penalty.
Tipton tried to press for an equaliser but were trying too hard and in doing so were unable to play a good final ball and also left space for the opposition to finally create some open play chances. They hit a post on 70 minutes with a header and Dale Strawbridge had to make two fine saves on 79 and 81 minutes. All their effort nearly paid off on 89 minutes when Man of the Match, Neil Gooding beat the offside trap only to strike his shot inches wide of the target. This summed up a frustrating day for Tipton who put in plenty of effort and deserved something for their industry.
You may also want to watch:
?Tipton 2nds won 4 -2 at Tedburn St Mary 2nds. Hugh Cort, Barry Wood and Jonny Beer (2) were the scorers. Tipton 1st’s next game is away against Chard 2nds. Tipton 2nds are away at Open Space International. Both games kick off at 3pm.
- 1 When it comes to our beach, its about taking responsibility for what we do
- 2 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 3 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 4 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 5 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 6 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 7 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 8 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 9 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 10 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb