Garrick nets birthday goal as Town Under-16s net handsome win
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Town Under-16s brushed aside their indifferent form since the start of the season to chalk up a splendid 5-1 home win over Okehampton.
The Town teenagers made a flying start when, just 35 seconds after kick-off, Louis Spalding latched onto a weak back pass, rounded the keeper and slotted the ball home.
The lead was doubled when Jacob Rice took advantage of more defensive dithering and finished calmly.
Town felt they ought to have been awarded a third, but an assistants flag ruled out what looked a splendid ‘goal’ from a Spalding volley!
Moments after the incident, at the other end of the pitch, Okehampton were awarded a penalty for a shove in the box and the spot kick was duly tucked away.
You may also want to watch:
That sparked the visitors into life and new Town goalkeeper Tony Pel pulled off some outstanding saves while Tom Burhop somehow got back to put in a goal saving tackle when it seemed so much easier for the Okehampton attacker to score!
Just before the half-time whistle Spalding was again denied a ‘goal’ by an off-side flag!
- 1 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 2 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 3 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 4 East Devon author launches satirical book
- 5 Sad loss at Beer Albion
- 6 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 7 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 8 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 9 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 10 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
After the break Town bossed proceedings. They were mighty close to a fourth goal when Matt Slater’s well struck free-kick was somehow kept out by the visiting glovesman.
That was only a temporary reprieve though for Okehampton as Louis Adey headed home a Jack Miller cross before Toby Garrick marked his birthday with a goal from an Ollie Truman pass.
Jacob Rice rounded things off with his second goal to complete the scoring.