Garrick nets birthday goal as Town Under-16s net handsome win
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Town Under-16s brushed aside their indifferent form since the start of the season to chalk up a splendid 5-1 home win over Okehampton.
The Town teenagers made a flying start when, just 35 seconds after kick-off, Louis Spalding latched onto a weak back pass, rounded the keeper and slotted the ball home.
The lead was doubled when Jacob Rice took advantage of more defensive dithering and finished calmly.
Town felt they ought to have been awarded a third, but an assistants flag ruled out what looked a splendid ‘goal’ from a Spalding volley!
Moments after the incident, at the other end of the pitch, Okehampton were awarded a penalty for a shove in the box and the spot kick was duly tucked away.
You may also want to watch:
That sparked the visitors into life and new Town goalkeeper Tony Pel pulled off some outstanding saves while Tom Burhop somehow got back to put in a goal saving tackle when it seemed so much easier for the Okehampton attacker to score!
Just before the half-time whistle Spalding was again denied a ‘goal’ by an off-side flag!
- 1 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 2 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 3 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 4 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 5 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 6 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help
- 7 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 8 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 9 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 10 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
After the break Town bossed proceedings. They were mighty close to a fourth goal when Matt Slater’s well struck free-kick was somehow kept out by the visiting glovesman.
That was only a temporary reprieve though for Okehampton as Louis Adey headed home a Jack Miller cross before Toby Garrick marked his birthday with a goal from an Ollie Truman pass.
Jacob Rice rounded things off with his second goal to complete the scoring.