Gater blasts Sidmouth II towards first win of the season
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth 2nd XI landed a first win of the Tolchards Devon League 2nd XI Premier Division campaign as they defeat Plymouth II by 174-runs at Fortfield.
When skipper Saj Patidar won the toss he had no doubt about batting first on what looked another terrific batting strip.
Openers Dec Lines and Dan Powell showed just how good a strip it was as they eased their way to 81 before Lines fell for 34.
That brought Nick Mansfield to the wicket and there was no change to the forward momentum as and Powell added 91 before Powell was trapped leg before for a well-crafted 75. Mansfield joined him back in the pavilion soon after with 44 to his name. Henry Gater then took on the starring role as he plundered 89 from just 49 deliveries. There was support at the other end during the Gater show from Patidar and Joe Griffiths, as Sidmouth closed on a commanding 315-5 from their allotted 45 overs.
Paignton took on the run chase with initial relish and were certainly helped to settle into the chase by a large number of wides! However, once the first couple of visiting batsmen had been sent back wickets tumbled with the final one taken with the score on 141 after just 28 overs.
You may also want to watch:
Joe Griffiths and Toby Seldon were the pick of Sidmouth’s attack; Griffiths knocked over Paignton’s top three with some fine swing bowling, while Seldon both slowed the rate of scoring and took wickets in a fine eight over spell that saw him close with figures of 2-15.
Other wickets were taken by George House (2-43), Charlie Dibble (2-13) and there was a first second team wicket for Jash Patidar. The bowlers were given good support throughout by the fielders, particularly Dan Powell who kept extremely well, and father and son, Leigh and Louis Adey, who both fielded superbly.
- 1 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 4 East Devon author launches satirical book
- 5 Sad loss at Beer Albion
- 6 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 7 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 8 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 9 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 10 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary