Gibson goal not quite enough as Sidmouth Raiders Under-12s edged out by CS Lions
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Raiders 1, CS Lions 2 Sidmouth Raiders Under-12s were edged out in a close encounter with the Mid Devon-based visitors, writes Simon James.
In a high-tempo start both sides looked to get on the front foot and dominate the other! This made for some exciting play with Ben Scrivens and Thomas West looking solid in the Raiders defence. A clear tactical plan from the home coaches was clearly working and, Ben Latham and Will Lorkin at the centre of some crisp passing the deadlock was almost broken when Scot Gibson’s brave attempt was thwarted by the visiting glovesman.
In one superb move Scrivens weaved his way past four opposition players before squaring to Jamie Wyant, but his shot, clearly beating the keepers dive, cannoned back off the frame of the goal!
It was somewhat against the run of play when the visitors took a lead they carried through to the break.
In the second half the Mid Devon side doubled their lead with a second goal. However, urged on by popular coach Craig Morgan, the Raiders found new energy and inventiveness and it was no surprise when Scot Gibson scored after a precise pass from Finlay Morgan.
You may also want to watch:
That set up Raiders to lay siege to the visitors’ goal in search of an equaliser, but despite great endeavour it was not forthcoming.
- 1 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 2 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 3 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 4 Dom Bess representing Sidmouth in Sri Lanka
- 5 Sid Vale Association marks its 175th anniversary
- 6 Safety, security and sustainability at Sidmouth Town
- 7 Tipton St John children's author wins national award for pioneering work
- 8 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 9 Fishing vessel rescued by Exmouth RNLI
- 10 "Whoever you are, the county council will almost certainly play some role in your everyday life"