Gliding Club hands out annual awards
- Credit: Archant
The annual presentation of trophies followed the AGM on Saturday evening at Devon and Somerset Gliding Club, writes Jill Harmer.
The leading cross-country pilots of the club, Pete Startup from Ottery St Mary and Matt Wright from Washford, took several of the awards for some great flights from North Hill and on club expeditions.
Liam Vile from Exeter University was congratulated for continuing to find good fields to land in.
Pete Bennett from Yeovil was awarded the best junior award and the Norman Whyte trophy for best progress having completed his silver badge and become the youngest basic instructor in the country at just 16-years of age!
Pete Startup and William Pope from Dunkeswell were jointly awarded the best volunteer workers at the club, although there were another four members who came in joint runners-up.
You may also want to watch:
The Dick Wolff Trophy was given in memory of Dick Wolff from Torquay who gave a lot of his time to the club, and was voted for by the members.
Another on-line poll by the members was awarded for the best Instructor of the Year, and Pete Harmer from Cruwys Morchard has now won this for five consecutive years.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 3 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 4 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 5 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 6 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 7 Art shop thanks customers who have shown support
- 8 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
Interested in gliding with Devon and Somerset Gliding Club? Find out about trial lessons, (they make a wonderful Christmas present) and you can purchase and book on-line by visiting www.dsgc.co.uk.