Good bowling, pity about the weather
Sidmouth Bowls Club men s report: With a measurable amount of success with the game of bowls, we cannot say the same about the weather.
Sidmouth Bowls Club men's report: With a measurable amount of success with the game of bowls, we cannot say the same about the weather.
Last week we had a week of glorious sunshine; for some of us that was too hot.
This week we are back to normal wondering whether our matches would get cancelled, with the weather being more like April and heavy showers.
Our match at Feniton had to be abandoned after 11 ends; it ended with a win for Sidmouth 41-34.
You may also want to watch:
The match against Uffculme was lucky to have taken place; our records showed that we were due to play them on their green. At mid-day the players from Uffculme arrived at Sidmouth to play, lucky they were early, and we were able to alert our drivers not to take the trip up the M5 to Uffculme. After a few phone calls, the match took place at Sidmouth but, alas, we lost 94-100: M Watson, E Taylor, E Mills (skip) 16-13; B Haynes, M Savage, B Hague (skip) 15-14; M King, D Ware, J Fricker (skip) 16-14; J Thomas, M Watson, D Lever (skip) 10-21; B Farmer, J Green, C Hewett (skip) 15-18; P Hague, C Rourke, D Mountford (skip) 12-20. ( I think a one shot penalty on each rink should have been given for the mix- up; that would have made the result a draw.)
We lost the friendly match played against Honiton 61-70: R Tallent, M B Smith, P Mison, A Newman (skip) 14-18; A Smith, C Rourke, D Taylor, T Wilkins (skip) 16-19; S Mison, J Chew, C Turner, E Mills (skip) 21-13; M Savage, R Denning, J Green, B Turner (skip) 10-20.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 5 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 6 Joma Devon and Exeter League results and fixtures
- 7 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 8 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 9 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 10 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
In the over 60s Exeter & District League, Sidmouth C team had two matches this week against Bradninch B losing 27-3, and a win against Marina C 42-30, losing on one rink and drawing on the other.
Sidmouth B played Belmont B, winning on both rinks with an overhaul score of 42-23.
By Cliff Hewett
Sidmouth Bowls Club men's report