Thornbury Colts 21, Sidmouth Colts 34
The Sidmouth Colts are in great form this season and backed-up good league wins against Exmouth and Exeter Chiefs with this impressive away win at Thornbury.
The long trip was a proper club affair with the Colts providing the curtain raiser for the 1st XV game. With just seven regular forwards in the squad this week, captain Jack Sowden moved to No.8 to form a mobile ball-winning back row with Perchard-Richards and Goddard.
The Sidmouth line-out went well again with Reed regularly finding his jumpers to create a platform for the team. Rugg at loosehead has been outstanding all season showing pace and skill on the ball and at half-back and in midfield Morris, Wright and Ward were influential.
In particular the organisation of Wright and Ward saw the colts playing the patterns and style which club coach Jason Luff has worked hard on. A great start and a slick early try shook the home side and the speed, running lines and handling of Cotton, Wells-Burr, Locke and Bramley quickly created another. Both tries were converted from difficult angles by Ward to continue his superb form with the boot.
You may also want to watch:
Thornbury kept in touch and by reorganising their team with the benefit of local Colts rules which allow Under-19s to play, perhaps felt they could catch the Sidmouth side. However, as scores were traded the home side never looked like getting a lead and the final Sidmouth try by Bramley, after great handling by Wright and Ward and a break by Locke, was the icing on the cake.
This was an impressive win which surely inspired the Chiefs and, with the club committed to develop young players, many of the Colts will get senior games as the season progresses.
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 Further improvements for Sidmouth Town FC
- 4 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 7 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 8 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 9 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 10 Set aside a wild patch in your garden - better to watch than the television!