Great weather for Competition Enterprise at Devon and Somerset Gliding Club
- Credit: Archant
After very mixed weather for gliding over the last few weeks, the first week of July came up trumps for the Competition Enterprise held at North Hill, writes Jill Harmer.
Air Cadets from the the Devon and Somerset Wing assisted DSGC members in the smooth running of launching nearly 40 gliders each day. A twilight aerobatic glider display with pyrotechnics was flown by Guy Westgate from GliderFX and enjoyed by all.
Enterprise is the key word for this competition with pilots rewarded for making the best use of the lines of energy for soaring on each day.
Interpretation of the weather forecast and skill in reading the sky plays a great part.
A different task was set each day but the 37 competitors have to make their own decisions both before taking off and in the air.
You may also want to watch:
Extra bonuses are scored for flying over the sea on either coast and for reaching various places.
Whilst the soarable weather slots were a little limited on some days during the week, the expert pilots made great use of all of Southern England.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 5 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 6 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 7 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 8 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 9 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help
- 10 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
The eight Devon and Somerset Gliding Club (DSGC) pilots that had entered all enjoyed the great competitive atmosphere and for some it was their first experience at a gliding competition.
Highest placed local pilot was Ron Johns in sixth and he also directed the competition. The overall winner was Trevor Stuart from the Bristol and Gloucester Gliding Club.
More information about the Competition Enterprise can be found omn the DSGC website at www.dsgc.co.uk