Gritty not brilliant ppp

Sidmouth RFC Quins 21, Crediton RFC 2nds 10

The Quins’ welcomed Crediton to the Blackmore on a glorious sunny spring afternoon. The pitch and conditions were made for running rugby; it’s just a shame it never materialised fully, writes Bryn Thomas.

The game started positively for the Quins’, securing simple line-out ball and driving Crediton back.

The first scrum was equally as solid, taking ball against the put in, only to then concede a penalty at the next breakdown. When the Quins’ moved the ball wide, unforced errors occurred regularly, which increased the penalty count in favour of Crediton.

The first chance for points came via the Quins’ conceding a penalty; fortunately, the Kirton kicker sliced his effort wide. Crediton did stay on the offensive and quickly received another penalty. This time, though, they kicked to the corner, but could not cross the white line due to good Quins’ defence.

You may also want to watch:

After the spell of Kirton pressure, and somewhat against the run of play, the Quins’ broke out of defence to score a try in the clubhouse corner. Full-back Ben Salter ran in from 30 metres after a succession of quick rucks and a chip ahead. The conversion by Will Dunford from the touchline went wide.

Crediton regrouped and attacked, pinning the Quins’ in their 22, unable to break out. A try-saving tackle by Salter and subsequent penalty to the Quins’ allowed them to clear up field. Much of the remainder of the half was played out in the middle third, neither side able to make the decisive break.

Most Read

Things didn’t start well for the Quins’ in the second period.

Crediton soon had their noses in front. An early penalty saw Kirton close the lead. This was soon followed by a converted try.

From there on, the quality of the Quins’ play improved and positive lines of running started to expose the Kirton defence.

The Quins’ soon regained their lead. Second row Dan Ledger had time to walk over the line to score from five metres following a Jon Kitchin break. Dunford added the extras.

The Quins’ forward play improved as the second half progressed, as did the backline with replacement wing Sam Cummins looking dangerous when supplied with decent ball.

The Quins’ extended their lead further through a Dunford penalty after a high tackle. With the Quins upping the pace, Crediton were being caught offside on a regular basis.

The Quins’ capitalised fully, punishing the Crediton indiscretions by converting two further penalties.

This was not a fantastic Quins’ performance in front of a decent home crowd including the 1st team, but a win no matter how scrappy is what was needed after poor game the previous week. The victory gave insured the Quins’ did the double over Crediton, after winning 14-25 in the reverse fixture back in January.

This coming weekend the Quins’ are at home again against Cullompton. Kick-off 3pm

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus