Grubb and Ruffle joy as Sidmouth take on Honiton
- Credit: Archant
The away leg of the return match versus Honiton was played in dry and sunny conditions, writes Chris Grubb.
The Sidmouth team was led into action by the pairing of Bruce Harcourt and Chris Timms who played steady golf, but came up against the Honiton seniors captain Alan Pollock and playing partner Dave Morgan who were in good form.
After a fighting half at the first hole the Sidmouth pair realised they were up against it, as Alan Pollock birdied three holes and eagled the eighth just when Bruce Harcourt thought he was in with a chance with a birdie only to see Alan sink a shot from 100 yards for a two!
Although Chris Timms got one back the match was over on the 13th losing six-and-five.
Sidmouth success was quick to follow as Chris Grubb and Vernon Ruffle fought a tight battle, with both players showing good form to win on the seventeenth by two-and-one to give Sidmouth their first points of the afternoon.
You may also want to watch:
The next match saw Alan Malcolm and John White in an equally tight game, but unfortunately lost on the seventeenth by two-and-one.
The fourth Sidmouth pairing of John Bainbridge and Roger Bawden came up against an in-form pairing of Chris Street and Rob Sexton and lost on the twelfth by seven-and-six.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 3 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 4 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 5 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 6 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 7 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 8 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
The fifth match was very close with neither side getting a real advantage but Sidmouth’s Doug Goodall and Pat Kenny kept the pressure on their opponents and won it on the eighteenth for Sidmouth.
The final pairing of Peter Emery and Dave Roberts struggled against David Lee and Bob Crockett of Honiton and lost seven-and-six.
The score for the day was Honiton four and Sidmouth two, but over the two legs the score was Sidmouth six-and-half to Honiton’s five-and-a-half; a good result overall for Sidmouth.