Gutsy U13s lose out in Devon cup replay
U13 rugby - Devon Cup Final (replay)
Sidmouth 5, Topsham 15
After the nail-biting match between Sidmouth and Topsham which resulted in a 5-5 draw at Tiverton, the replay was scheduled to take place at Blackmore last Wednesday, April 25, writes Adrian Davies.
However, the elements put paid to any play that day and the fixture was moved to the Friday and the conditions couldn't have been better.
In warm sunshine and in front of a large crowd, the game was played with determination and both sides competed with skill.
You may also want to watch:
The first quarter was a ding-dong battle with play ebbing and flowing. As the half moved on, Sidmouth seemed to be edging possession when Topsham's no.12 made a good run down the right wing only to be well-tackled by Counsell.
Topsham applied sustained pressure on the Sidmouth five metre line which culminated in a successful penalty with the last kick of the half by Topsham's no. 9.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 3 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 4 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 The more we work together the better it will be
- 7 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 8 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 9 I want seafront cafe and restaurant to be something Exmouth can be proud of
- 10 Golfing season underway at Sidmouth GC
Early in the second half, Sidmouth conceded an unconverted try, courtesy of the Topsham captain. Undeterred, Sidmouth continued to battle up front and with tackles going in everywhere, the game was still in the balance.
Some inventive play and strong pressure on the Sidmouth defence resulted in a second try for the Topsham captain which was converted by the scrum half.
Sidmouth didn't give up and, with good skills and determination, scored a well-deserved consolation try at the death through Johnson-Graves.
There were lots of strengths and few weaknesses on show from either team and the game was an excellent advertisement for youth rugby.