Hall stars in the mud for Sidmouth Under-11s
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Under-11s were in action at Newton Abbot for the final game before the festive break while, on the same day, the Sidmouth Under-13 girls were also in action when they visited Brixham.
Newton Abbot, as usual, put out a large squad on a muddy pitch, which left the smaller Sidmouth boys at a big disadvantage.
However, the Sidmouth side gave their all and a hallmark of their impressive efforts was the fitness which came to the fore in the final game with Hayden Hall running down the one mud-free part of the pitch to touchdown numerous times in the corner. The combined determination of the squad, including birthday boys Archie Rowcliffe and Thomas Grove, was an excellent reminder of the great teamwork that has become the hallmark of Sidmouth rugby this season.
The Under-12 girls also endured muddy conditions at Brixham where the recently formed home side were taking to the pitch for their third game.
The Sidmouth girls’ experience showed, as some splendid passing, off-loading and tactical kicking produced a large number of tries in the opening half. Given the disparity in experience, Sidmouth girls offered to swap players to even up the teams, but Brixham decided to fight on with a little bit of help from the downhill slope!
You may also want to watch:
It turned out to be the right decision as soon after half-time a determined Brixham centre scored their first try after about 10 phases.
The game continued with dogged determination on one side being answered by tactical nous on the other.
- 1 When it comes to our beach, its about taking responsibility for what we do
- 2 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 3 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 4 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 5 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 6 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 7 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 8 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 9 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 10 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
Both teams came off the pitch elated and the Brixham girls will definitely go from strength to strength.