Hall stars in the mud for Sidmouth Under-11s
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Under-11s were in action at Newton Abbot for the final game before the festive break while, on the same day, the Sidmouth Under-13 girls were also in action when they visited Brixham.
Newton Abbot, as usual, put out a large squad on a muddy pitch, which left the smaller Sidmouth boys at a big disadvantage.
However, the Sidmouth side gave their all and a hallmark of their impressive efforts was the fitness which came to the fore in the final game with Hayden Hall running down the one mud-free part of the pitch to touchdown numerous times in the corner. The combined determination of the squad, including birthday boys Archie Rowcliffe and Thomas Grove, was an excellent reminder of the great teamwork that has become the hallmark of Sidmouth rugby this season.
The Under-12 girls also endured muddy conditions at Brixham where the recently formed home side were taking to the pitch for their third game.
The Sidmouth girls’ experience showed, as some splendid passing, off-loading and tactical kicking produced a large number of tries in the opening half. Given the disparity in experience, Sidmouth girls offered to swap players to even up the teams, but Brixham decided to fight on with a little bit of help from the downhill slope!
You may also want to watch:
It turned out to be the right decision as soon after half-time a determined Brixham centre scored their first try after about 10 phases.
The game continued with dogged determination on one side being answered by tactical nous on the other.
- 1 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss
- 2 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 3 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 4 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 5 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 6 Road works start to enhance access to Exeter and East Devon Enterprise Zone
- 7 £12,500 donated to lockdown laptops for schools appeal
- 8 Dragon Patchers will continue to keep Devon's potholes filled
- 9 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 10 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
Both teams came off the pitch elated and the Brixham girls will definitely go from strength to strength.