Hayle left reeling by Honiton
Hayle 19, Honiton 1st XV 23
Honiton sent out a message to the league with a great 23-19 over the hitherto unbeaten at home Hayle, writes Nick Guilbert.
Less than 12 months ago, Honiton lost by 30 points at Hayle, but this time they dominated the first half.,
They made a terrific start, Honiton’s defence making the difference between the two battling sides and they were 20-0 up before fatigue set in and they conceded two scores just before half time.
Dobson scored the first try, Channing couldn’t convert but hammered over a penalty shortly afterwards. Dobson got another, following a slick backs move, and completed his hat-trick with Channing converting to hit the magic 20-0.
You may also want to watch:
Honiton tried to hold out until half time but a cluster of penalties gave Hayle a foothold and they hammered Honiton’s line. Eventually, Selway was sin binned for an infringement in a ruck and with seven minutes to go, Hayle broke through to score twice.
In the second half, Channing hit a long-range penalty, Hayle got one back As the game entered the final play there was desperate defending from Honiton until eventually sub Canniford managed to take a pop pass and kick clear to touch.
- 1 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 2 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 3 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 4 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 5 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 6 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 7 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 8 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 9 Country owes a 'great debt' to The Duke of Edinburgh
- 10 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Full report on www.midweekherald.co.uk