Hewitt blasts winning score
The Friday Stableford competition at Sidmouth Golf Club brought together two of the in-form players in a head-to-head battle in this popular event, writes John Rockey.
Mark Thomas, who won last week’s medal was looking for some good form to take on his golfing trip to France and must have been happy with his one-over-par score, earning 40pts. However, the recent winner of the Challenge Cup, David Pepperell was also on-song and came in with 41pts to take first prize as well as a handicap reduction to single figures.
Third, in this high class field, was Neil Bunting with 39pts. Neil, who only joined the club this year has had a remarkable start to his time at Sidmouth, which has seen him halve his handicap from 10 to 5 and garner a number of trophies on the way.
?In the Allstate Monday Stableford there was an opportunity for some of the less regular winners to come to the fore, as Devon County Captain Neil Holland, Club Champion Jonathan Lee, Club Record Holder Nigel Winchester, Mark Thomas, Paddy Tallon, Bob Welsman et al were all away on a golfing trip.
As it turned out, it did not matter too much that all these players were absent, because Glyn Hewitt would have blasted them all away with his incredible 44pts even if they had all turned up, having come in eight shots under his handicap.
You may also want to watch:
Just as well for Glyn that the ‘stars’ were not around as there would have been searching questions about his handicap status and possibly another call for the Handicap Reduction Committee to return from their endless summer break! Second, with an impressive 40pts, but four points behind the winner, was John Emmott, with David Pepperell third with 39pts.
Next week’s Allstate Monday Stableford will be the last of the season and it will be interesting as to whether the regulars will be back in the winners’ circle, or whether others will come in to take their place. We will see!
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 3 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 4 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 5 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 6 The more we work together the better it will be
- 7 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 8 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 9 I want seafront cafe and restaurant to be something Exmouth can be proud of
- 10 Golfing season underway at Sidmouth GC