High/low combo success at Sidmouth
This week’s Sunday morning three ball competition, blessed as it was, with more sunshine than the rest of the week put together, produced some fine golf, writes George Carr.
A combination of low and high handicaps proved the winning formula on the day when David Pepperell and Luke Shepard, playing off seven and six respectively, combined with high handicapper Bob Skelly to card an impressive nine under-par 57 to claim first place.
This was no runaway victory however, for only one shot behind on 58 and eight under-par, the club captain Paul Hitchcock with his partners John Welch and Lawrence Hill pushed the winners all the way but had to be content with second place.
In third place and just a shot further back on 59 and six under-par, was David Cowler playing off nine and aided by two long handicappers, Paul Shoobridge and Charles Oram. It was a close run thing and no doubt the runners up were left rueing the odd putt missed; but it was ever thus.
? With three events completed, the winter league begins to take shape and the different formats now played each week find some new names at the top.
You may also want to watch:
As with last year, a top spot is worth 10 points, second place nine points, and so on down to 10th place, so much can happen yet. At the moment Charles Oram leads the field with 13 points. Moray Bosence, in second place with 12 points, must be an early favourite; veteran Paul Renken lies in third place with 10 points.
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 Further improvements for Sidmouth Town FC
- 4 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 7 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 8 Golfing season underway at Sidmouth GC
- 9 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 10 Set aside a wild patch in your garden - better to watch than the television!