High spirits and great play
Sidmouth and Ottery 2nds 1, Teign 2nds 0
The dismal rain failed to dampen high spirits and SOHC’s brave players gathered on the Ottery pitch, ready for the first game after Christmas, writes Annie Clay.
The team were determined to get their first league game win of the season and secure some vital points.
SOHC started strongly, keeping good possession of the ball with Emma Dalton and Helen Mylne making some great runs up the wing. Teign applied pressure at the back, but Helen Ackland and Jess Lay worked well together blocking potential goals.
Moving up as a unit, Anna Bowker made a brilliant pass across to Rachael Down, who picked up the ball at the top of the circle. A solid first time strike sent the ball straight into the left hand corner of the goal, leaving SOHC rightfully one goal up at half time.
You may also want to watch:
Despite a confident start to the second half, SOHC were kept on their toes when Teign had a few chances at goal. However, Becca was on top form and determined to keep it 1 - 0. SOHC were delighted to have Cath Dockley back on the pitch, having recovered from bronchitis and, despite a few falls, she successfully distributed the ball out wide many times. Alice Stafford was also performing well and blocked many first-time strikes on their three consecutive short corners.
With Sophie Jackson and Georgie Hellier making many drives into the circle as well as getting a few short corners, SOHC were unfortunate not to get another goal.
- 1 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 2 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 3 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 4 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 5 When it comes to our beach, its about taking responsibility for what we do
- 6 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 7 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 8 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 9 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 10 Mixed weekend for Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey
However, one goal turned out to be enough for a win. Player of the Match goes to Emma Dalton. With this great start to the second half of the season, SOHC Ladies’ 2nds are confident that many more wins will come their way.