Hockey confidence booster
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth & Ottery HC D 3, East Devon C 0
Olive 2, King, C1
SidMouth and Ottery HC Men’s 5ths returned to action in a friendly against league rivals East Devon.
Keen to overturn their 5-4 league defeat to their opposition earlier in the season, SOHC started the game positively and were rewarded after 20 minutes when David Ackland’s (mis-hit) cross from the left was tapped in by Chris Olive at the far post.
The remainder of the half was even with neither team able to pass and retain possession sufficient to create meaningful goal threats.
You may also want to watch:
The second half was mostly SOHC’s. They had the best of the possession and were able to stifle East Devon’s midfield and defence and create several attempts on goal and a clutch of penalty corners that called East Devon’s goalkeeper into last-ditch action.
Charlie King’s sublime goal, on his club debut, came midway through the second half. His half-volleyed deflection on the reverse saw the ball lifted over the advancing keeper in a moment of pure skill. After this, SOHC turned the screw and mounted a number of attacks.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 3 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 4 Debut in the Dartmoor League
- 5 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 6 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 7 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 8 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 9 Joma Devon & Exeter League results and fixtures
- 10 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
Olive’s second goal followed concerted pressure during which he pushed the ball calmly over the keeper to seal the game.
The 3-0 result gives SOHC 5ths the confidence they need to re-start their league campaign next week vs Isca (away) and to play East Devon again in two week’s time.