Honiton Netball League set for thrilling finish
The Honiton Netball Handicap League moves towards the final three weeks of the season with Flamingos holding on to top spot, writes Graham Ingram.
With only four points separating first from fifth and team shaving game si hand, a thrilling finish to the season is expected.
In the latest round of matches Flamingos were up against former leaders Sidmouth Toucans.
The Toucans, with Rachel Darlami playing well, held on to the lead until half way. In the third quarter with Yvonne Tolhurst was in great form it was Flamingos who moved in front by 39-32.
From there they went on to record a 50-36 win.
You may also want to watch:
Signs South West held on to their second place when they recorded a 71-46 victory over Howden Hawks.
Although Sandra Falkner was playing well for the Hawks the SSW, with Rowan Williams providing inspiration, were too strong for them and having nosed in front 42-41 at half way they then powered to their sixth win of the campaign.
- 1 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 2 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 3 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 4 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 5 When it comes to our beach, its about taking responsibility for what we do
- 6 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 7 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 8 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 9 Mixed weekend for Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey
- 10 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
OPG continued to press the leaders when they defeated a plucky and hard working Tip Top Trees side. OPG started in arrears but by half way had gained the upper hand thanks to some good work from the effervescent Denise Meyers in attack. Although Lidia Fanzo pushed 3Ts hard they could not get back and went down by 63-42.
The best performance of the night tag went to Otter Valley Dairy when they came up against fourth placed Uplowman. The game went to the wire and finished all square at 53-53. Rachel Tucker was the OVD star whilst pick of the Uplowman side was Zoe Beresford.
Uplowman 53, Otter Valley Dairy 53; Signs South West 71, Howden Hawks 46; OPG 63, Tip Top Trees 42; Flamingos 50, Sidmouth Toucans 36.
P GD Pts
Flamingos 8 67 22
Signs South West 9 111 21
Uplowman 9 8 20
OPG7 8 8 18
Hi Q7 8 5 18
Sidmouth Toucans 8 -27 16
JD Tyres 7 -2 15
Howden Hawks 8 -79 12
Tip Top Trees 8 -79 12
Otter Valley Dairy 8 -44 11
Pixies* 7 -103 3