Honiton petanque team edged out by Ottery St Mary
- Credit: Archant
Honiton Petanque Club’s match at Ottery St Mary ended in another narrow 3-2 defeat, their third consecutive loss by the same score line.
Several Honiton members had played in the Charity Shield at Ottery St Mary the previous week and their continued improvement was noticeable.
In this Devon league match Lesley and Costa Drakatos with Charlie O’Reilly took one of the opening triples against Otters Peter Smith, Barrie Hall and Mike Bird by 13-8.
John Thatcher, Dave West and Paul Puddicombe levelled the match in beating Honiton’s Maureen and Andy Mills with Chris Bigmore 13-6.
With all to play for in the three doubles games Peter Smith and Barrie Hall made a good start for the home team with a 13-8 win against Maureen and Andy Mills.
You may also want to watch:
Otters John Thatcher and Mike Bird ensured victory when they beat Costa Drakatos and Charlie O’Reilly 13-6.
The Honiton side went down fighting with Lesley Drakatos and Chris Bigmore winning 13-6 against Dave West and Paul Puddicombe.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 3 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 4 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 5 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 6 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 7 Build Back Fairer by supporting Fairtrade in Sidmouth
- 8 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 9 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 10 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
So the match result was a 3-2 score line in favour of Ottery St Mary who remain unbeaten in the Devon league after three matches.
Honiton captain Chris Bigmore said: “We have to remember this is only our third ever match in the league and the third very close call.
“We also had two players making their debuts. The fact that we were disappointed not to win says a lot.
“I was delighted with our overall performance, so we remain upbeat and I don’t think that first win is too far off.”
Club sessions take place twice a week at Mountbatten Sports and Social Club, Ottery Moor Lane, Honiton. For more information call 07815 710810.