Honiton’s McCance wins extra stableford at Sidmouth
- Credit: Archant
An extra stableford competition off the white tees was scheduled on Saturday and this week it was won a youngster, Haydon McCance, writes John Barnard.
He is captain of Honiton juniors, but has taken advantage of the attractive junior membership option at Sidmouth and sometimes comes to play in competitions.
On a difficult day for golf, he managed 36 points to beat one of his playing partners on the day, Colin Macklin by a point. Haydon made a good start, birdies on holes five and 10 and pars on a couple of his shot holes meant it looked like a good day, but unfortunately, bogies on the last two holes meant no reduction to his handicap of six.
Second placed, club vice captain Colin Macklin, beat two other players on countback, including the in-form Kym White. Lessons with the club professional Ross Troake has given Colin some confidence.
Six pars and a birdie on hole eleven meant lots of points off his 17 handicap, but a few higher scoring holes meant a win was just missed.
You may also want to watch:
Kym just missed out, bogeying the last kept him in third place.
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 3 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 4 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 5 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 6 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 7 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 8 Mixed weekend for Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey
- 9 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 10 Rain ruins the cricketing weekend