Horsley holds her nerve
Sidmouth hosted Cornwall in a South West Federation League match on Tuesday, writes Colin Walls.
Cornwall arrived fresh from their victory over Budleigh Salterton and fielded a strong team, including Richard Griffiths (handicap -1, ranked 174 in the world).
In the morning Cornwall won two of three games with only David Clarke keeping Sidmouth's hopes alive.
Of the four games in the afternoon those on lawn four finished early with decisive wins for Richard Griffiths (Cornwall) and Colin Walls (Sidmouth) leaving the players free to watch the tense situation on lawn three, where Sidmouth needed both matches to win the day.
The first victory was delivered by Roger Hendy leaving Julie Horsley neck and neck with her Cornwall opponent Tony Jennings. She held her nerve as time was called to come out one hoop ahead.
You may also want to watch:
Sidmouth 4 – Cornwall 3; an excellent result.
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 Further improvements for Sidmouth Town FC
- 4 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 7 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 8 Golfing season underway at Sidmouth GC
- 9 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 10 Set aside a wild patch in your garden - better to watch than the television!