Hot stuff against tough Tivvy

Sidmouth under-12s took on Phoenix on Sunday and in a thoroughly entertaining game shared the spoils with the game finishing 3-3, writes Sean Murphy.

On a very sticky and bobbly pitch Sidmouth started brightly without causing the Phoenix keeper too many problems.

Midway through the first half a lovely pass put Joe Miller clear and he tucked the ball calmly into the net.

Undeterred, Phoenix came back at Sidmouth but the defence of Billy Rudolph, Jon Surtees, Connor Murphy, Alex Stone and Jamie Newbery, playing just in front of the back four, quashed the Phoenix attacks.

Newbery in particular did a great job of marking Phoenix's lightning quick striker. Just before half time a mix-up allowed Phoenix to equalise with the ball, looping over keeper Tyler Hillier off the Phoenix player’s knee.

You may also want to watch:

The Exeter side started the second half in the ascendency with Sidmouth hanging on. Phoenix deservedly took the lead but Sidmouth went straight back on the attack.

Ben Miller capped a fantastic performance with a brilliant individual effort. It was definitely game on with both teams going all out for victory.

Most Read

With about 10 minutes to go Phoenix took the lead for the second time with a good finish.

Not to be outdone Sidmouth went up the other end and a couple of minutes later were awarded a penalty for hand ball. Freddie King kept his 100 per cent perfect record from the spot this season, although the keeper will probably feel he could have saved it. The final five minutes were all out attack by both sides but with no more goals.

The boys showed terrific determination and courage coming from a goal down twice. This was a must win game for the team but a draw was the right result as neither deserved to lose. All the parents and spectators thoroughly enjoyed a great match played by two good teams going all out for victory.

Sidmouth U10 Warriors battled bravely against Tiverton Whites at Bicton College, writes Alex Spalding.

The match started brightly and evenly, Matt Salter putting Sidmouth 1-0 up early on with a lovely strike. Upfront Will Ashby was chased tirelessly and kept Tivvy's defence under pressure.

At the back, Toby Garrick and Archie Marchant were watchful, making several timely interceptions. Ben Plowden made a great early save, then Tiverton went closer hitting the post and bar as things hotted up. Eventually Tiverton equalised but at half time there was still all to play for.

From the restart, Tiverton scored two quick goals, but Sidmouth were not going to let the game slip away easily. Jack Miller upfront, Louis Spalding and Jay Harris on the wings all kept pushing forward but their opponents’ defence was quick and strong. Then, a wonder-goal! Matt Salter broke from midfield, saw his chance 15 yards out on the left and curled the ball into the top right corner, awesome. At 3-2 down things were getting exciting... Tivvy, though, kept up the pressure and towards the end broke through twice more, to win 5-2.

Matt Salter's skill and hard work earned him Man of the Match. All the lads knew they'd shown great heart against high quality opponents.

Thanks to everyone for pulling together to get the pitch ready - the fourth choice venue after three others were frozen off - in a really worthwhile effort to get the game played.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus