How did they lose it?
University 2nds 2 , Tipton St John 1
D & E Div 1
Tipton came away from this match at the University wondering how they had lost it. Having gone through their pre-match warm up they firstly had to wait 25 minutes for the referee to arrive, writes Richard Williams.
Despite this they started well and had multiple chances go close in the first half.
Tipton came out for the second half and within a minute Glen Salter hit a shot just over the bar. On 51 minutes Tipton were awarded a free kick just outside the area which Adam Connett hit well, only to see the University keeper make a great save high to his left to tip the ball over for a corner. He again went close when a 25-yard effort clipped the top of the bar. A minute later, totally against the run of play, University broke away and scored from close range with their first effort of the game to put them ahead.
You may also want to watch:
Tipton continued to dominate, but, following a mistake in midfield, the University increased their lead. Straight from the kick off Adam Connett hit a superb shot only to see the University keeper pull off an equally superb save and tip the ball away for a corner. Tipton continued to dominate and Connett finally pulled a goal back in the 90th minute with a close range shot following a fine flowing move from Tipton. The referee blew shortly afterwards. Man of the Match for Tipton was left back Haydn Banfield who put in some fine defensive work on the rare occasion it was needed and also some fine link up play with both midfield and attack along the left wing.
The last league game is away to Bow on May 12, Kick off 3pm.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 3 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 4 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 5 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 6 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 7 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 8 Ottery has gone 'above and beyond' during this difficult time
- 9 I want seafront cafe and restaurant to be something Exmouth can be proud of
- 10 Future housing may be destined for out of town sites