Hudson brace as Sidmouth thirds book last four berth in Geary Cup

Sidmouth Town 3rds beat Elmore 2nds 4-0 in the cup game at the weekend. Ref shsp 11-16TI 2709. Pictu

Sidmouth Town 3rds beat Elmore 2nds 4-0 in the cup game at the weekend. Ref shsp 11-16TI 2709. Picture: Terry Ife - Credit: Archant

Sidmouth third team bounced back from their Devon Intermediate Cup disappointment the week before to secure a Geary Cup semi-final berth after 4-0 win over Elmore Reserves.

The Vikings went into the game off the back of a disappointing run of defeats and with no specialist goalkeeper. However, this side has risen above such challenges in cup matches all season and this hurdle was to prove no exception!

Although Sidmouth were without a specialist goalkeeper they were able to field a very strong starting line-up. They welcomed back Sam Marriott. Charlie Nicolle returned from what he claimed to be his first suspension in 15 years, whilst the attack was led by the evergreen Simon Hudson.

Elmore started the game the brighter and soon caused some nervous moments in the Sidmouth defence. The home side settled and Blake Blackwood was unlucky to have what looked like a clear goal ruled out for offside!

Sidmouth were not to be thwarted. An uncharacteristic long-ball beat the Elmore offside trap and Hudson was on hand to lob the advancing keeper and give the hosts a deserved lead.

You may also want to watch:

As the first half ended, The Vikings came under sustained pressure and only a series of scrambled clearances and a wonderful full-stretch save from Josh Worthington (deputising in goal) kept the Sidmouth lead at half-time.

It always looked as if the next goal would be decisive. And so it proved to be. Thankfully the ball fell to Hudson who was on hand to roll back the years and smash an unstoppable volley past the Elmore keeper!

Most Read

The loudest cheer of the afternoon was however, to be reserved for young Maz Mahmoud. With virtually his first touch after coming on as a substitute he deceived the Elmore keeper with a rasping left footed drive.

With fellow substitute Jonny Dunn also scoring late on, Sidmouth manager Ian Peacock could claim credit for a series of inspired substitutions as Sidmouth thirds advanced into their second semi-final of what is proving to be a very successful season.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus