Humphry scores four tries as Withy win well against combined side
- Credit: Archant
Withycombe Under-15s took on a combined team of players from home club Newton Abbot and Exmouth Under-15s for a 13-a-side game.
Withy began with confidence, and were soon a couple of tries to the good, but the opposition hit back with two tries of their own – both converted to hold the lead.
The first half was certainly end-to-end, but Withy seemed to struggle to find their regular rhythm and half-time arrived with the combined side leading 19-7.
Whatever was said during the break in the Withy camp worked! They began the second period with a far greater tempo and began to move the ball with confident precision.
Particularly impressive was their pace from both the centre and both wings, which saw the opposition defence opened up time and again throughout the second half.
You may also want to watch:
Withy ran in five second-half tries to the three of the combined side, which left them winning by a margin of 10 points.
The Withy try-scoring honours went to Tom Humphrey who bagged four of them. Matt Shaw-Smith scored two and there were single tries from Lewis Hillier and Ben Wilkinson while Will Cooper slotted four conversions.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 5 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 6 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 7 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 8 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 9 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help
- 10 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
The Withy Man of the Match awards went to Matt Hicks for aggressive tackling up front and to four-try Humphry who also showed some powerful running from the outside centre berth.