Ian Bright and Paul Hitchcock take trophy
Potbury s Trophy: Potbury s of Sidmouth were gracious enough to sponsor the most recent club day and were rewarded with fine weather and more than 130 entries.
Potbury's Trophy: Potbury's of Sidmouth were gracious enough to sponsor the most recent club day and were rewarded with fine weather and more than 130 entries.
Ian Bright and Paul Hitchcock took the trophy and substantial vouchers to be used at the sponsor's store in the town.
After a slow start, Bright set the course alight with five birdies, including three 2s, to amass 43 points.
Low handicap players usually seek a partner with a few shots to help out, but the pairing of county vice-captain Neil Holland and club champion Duncan Taylor were only allowed five between them.
You may also want to watch:
This didn't stop them matching the top score and losing on countback.
Rob Finch also recorded three 2s and, with help from Phil Spencer, took third on 42 on countback from Challenge Cup semi-finalist Alec Salway and fellow Emerton-Court player George Carr.
- 1 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 2 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 3 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 4 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 5 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 6 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 7 Country owes a 'great debt' to The Duke of Edinburgh
- 8 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 9 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 10 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Please spare a thought for Terry Jones and Donald Cooper, who recorded 45 points before a card error was spotted and they were unable to collect their prize. In a game of gentlemen (and ladies) it was a delight to see them accept the news so graciously and take a drink with the winners after play.
Lady Margot Beauchamp and Maureen Howard took the ladies' prize on countback from Sheila Thomson and Mavis Vanstone.
Club captain Paddy Tallon gave thanks to the sponsors for their generous support and Martyn White, a former club champion himself, offered a few words on behalf of Potbury's.
Stableford: Stuart Coles had a very impressive round of golf in the Stableford. A massive 45 points was enough to see him take 1st prize by three points. His round of golf included four birdies and an eagle.
Two members who have not been seen on the leaderboard for a while are Steve French (2nd) and Paul Cox (3rd).
The scoring was very high this week with the top 10 players all getting 40+.
Another rare appearance in the stableford was from Damion Gee. Playing off +1, he shot a gross 60, including five birdies and an eagle, a very impressive back nine of 27 which had one 2, seven 3s and one 4!
In the seniors section Tony Willson came first with 37, beating Brian Dibley on a countback with Derek Geear also beating George Hudec into third on the countback.