In the dream team again!
Throughout the winter at Sidmouth Golf Club, competitions in various formats will be held every Sunday morning, writes John Rockey.
The formats vary between individual competitions- four-ball better ball events, three-ball team events and Texas Scrambles, with all teams being drawn from the list of participants, rather than players picking their own partners. Selecting the teams in this way enables participants to play with different partners during the winter and also better integrates new members.
For each of the competitions, points are awarded for the first 10 players in individual events and members of the first five teams, with the winner of the Winter League being the person with the highest points total, taking the best 10 scores throughout the winter.
This week was a three-ball team medal event and, whilst the teams are drawn out of a hat, the club manager, Jonathan Lee, continued his lucky streak by again managing to get drawn into a team which won the top prize. This week his partners were Graham Davies and John Barnard and they came in well ahead of all opposition with a medal score of 51 to give Lee his second win in the three team events held so far (and he came second in the other one). Second, with a score of 55, were club vice-captain Paul Hitchcock, Paul Renken and Martin Crockett who just edged into third place Donald Cooper, Steve Channing and Craig Melluish with a score of 56.
Needless to say, that after 3 team events and one individual competition so far, Jonathan Lee heads the latest league table with 19 points followed by Graham Davies with 14 points with Ray Gunston with 13 points in third place.
You may also want to watch:
Those in the lower places of the league table must be hoping that there are more individual events in future so that they can climb the table, as in the only individual competition held so far, Lee could only manage to be placed well down the field.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 3 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 4 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Joma Devon & Exeter League Results
- 7 Sidmouth music man raises thousands-of-pounds for cancer charity
- 8 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 9 New exhibition features Sidmouth view
- 10 Joma Devon and Exeter League Weekend Fixtures