Inexperience shows as Sidmouth II are beaten by Bovey Tracey II
THE lack of experience in Sidmouth’s 2nd XI showed when they lost by six wickets to Bovey Tracey in their final game, writes John Goodwin
With only three players over the age of 20, the side was unable to build on the decent start provided by openers Matt Hewer and Will Sobczak who put on 87 before being parted, the latter lbw for 38.
Hewer went on to make 50 and was third man out at 131. It then became processional as the next seven wickets fell for 46, Sidmouth dismissed for 177 in 48 overs.
There was a glimmer of hope for the visitors when Nick Mansfield took wickets in consecutive overs as the Bovey score approached 50, but those runs had come at an alarming rate.
Dominic Bess applied some control with two wickets for 43 runs in 14 overs but Bovey cruised home in 38 overs.
You may also want to watch:
Champions of the Francis Clark 2nd XI Premier Division for the past three years and a major force over the past decade, Sidmouth this season finished 17 points clear of a relegation spot and are now in a rebuilding phase.
How quickly a talented group of youngsters adapt to senior cricket will decide the team’s rate of rehabilitation.
- 1 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 2 Prince Philip's legacy is guaranteed through awards scheme
- 3 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 4 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 5 Ottery retirement community with Easter thank you for keyworkers
- 6 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 7 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 8 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 9 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 10 Virtual donkey day out on Easter Sunday