Inspired by jubilee to win
The Devon Region Petanque Double championship, played on Sunday at the Isca Club, saw winners go forward to the English Petanque Association's Champion of Champions event in October, writes Dave West.
Not surprising then that there were strong entries from Ottery St Mary, Isca, The Pig on the Hill (Westward Ho!) and Chudleigh.
At the first semi final stage it was Ottery's John and Rose Thatcher battling it out with Piggies Chris Jeffrey and Gary Smith, with the lead changing throughout the game; eventually the Thatchers won a place in the final by 13 - 10.
More Otters were in the other semi final where Peter Smith and Barrie Hall played Thierry Hacq and Franck Depreaux of the Chudleigh club; this time it was the Frenchmen who ran out worthy winners 13 - 4.
So the final became something of an international match but Hacq and Depreaux pulled out all their Gallic experience to make it an impressive and deserved win 13- 4 victory.
You may also want to watch:
This was a good result not just for the Frenchmen excelling in their national game, but also for their recently-formed club at Chudleigh. We wish them "bonne chance" for the October event.
The next event in this style of competition is the Devon Triples Championship to be held at The Pig on the Hill on Sunday, June 10, so perhaps after the jubilee weekend an English victory might be on the cards!
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 3 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 4 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 5 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 6 Sidmouth seniors back in competitive action
- 7 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 8 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 9 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 10 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98