It’s thirteenth time lucky for Tipton St John as villagers bag first Fresha League win of season
- Credit: Archant
Tipton St John celebrated their first win of the Fresha League Division One season when they beat Witheridge 4-2, writes Steve Birley.
For manager Dave Strawbridge the victory was no surprise.
He said: “It’s been coming for a couple of weeks. We were close in the recent game against Sidbury. It’s been a frustrating time what with the weather woes we have all suffered. I always knew this season would be one where it would take us some time to find our feet. Losing four players as we did at the start of the campaign was a problem. However, the lads have been training very enthusiastically and we have been tinkering with formations to find the one that suits us best. The Witheridge win was no fluke and I sincerely hope we can now build on that and begin to climb up the table.”
The victory, achieved at the 13th time of asking, lifted the side out of the bottom three and they now sit fourth bottom with both East Budleigh and Alphington within striking distance above them in the table.
Six of their next eight games are away from home, starting with Saturday’s visit to sixth placed Wellington.
You may also want to watch:
In the next eight matches they face Alphington, Cullompton and Culm United and so have the opportunities to put some real distance between themselves and the struggle to avoid relegation.
- 1 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 2 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 3 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 4 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 5 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action
- 6 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 7 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 8 Build Back Fairer by supporting Fairtrade in Sidmouth
- 9 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 10 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98