John Dunne Holes in One at the Par 4 First Hole in the East Devon League Match at Axe Cliff Golf Club
Sidmouth golfer John Dunne struck a hole in one to record an albatross at the par four 1st at Axe Cliff Golf Club.
That rarest of all birds, the albatross, was seen at Axe Cliff Golf Club when Sidmouth played their East Devon League match against Fingle Glen.
John Dunne, partnering Martin White unwrapped his brand new driver in the carpark and promptly proceeded to the 1st tee, where he holed his first shot of the day with his new driver at the uphill par 4 first hole for an albatross (3 under par).
Unfortunately this incredible shot did not spur the Sidmouth team on to win the match and in fact they lost their unbeaten record 3 � matches to 1 �.
After his extraordinary first shot, John and partner Martin eventually secured a half whilst the pairing of Stuart Coles and David Bater got the only win of the day.
You may also want to watch:
However the other three partnerships of Neil Holland, now playing off scratch, with Jonathon Lee as well as Nick Gingell and Mark Thomas and also team captain Lewis Perry and Paddy Tallon all lost.
The pain in seeing their proud unbeaten record ended - they had last lost in 2009 - was reduced somewhat with that magnificent opening hole shot from John Dunne.
- 1 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 2 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 3 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 4 Commemorative elm tree planted to mark National Tree Warden scheme's 30th anniversary
- 5 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 6 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 7 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 8 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 9 Sidmouth Rugby Club’s Devon success stories
- 10 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences