Johnstone at the double as SOHC IV defeat Minehead
Sidmouth and Ottery fourth team were 4-1 winners when they hosted Minehead III.
With several players not required in more senior SOHC teams on the day it meant the fourth eleven were stronger than usual and they made a bright start with Dan Vincent firing them ahead, finishing off a slick and pacey counter-attack with a strong shot. The home side took control of the game, but had to be wary of the Minehead pace in the middle third that allowed them to carry a threat throughout.
With the visitors pressing the hosts looked to hit back on the counter and this produced two further goals before the break.
Good hold-up and inter-linking play between Steve Ellinson and Chris Olive presented Dan Vincent and Rob Johnstone with opportunities to net that they took in style.
The second half was a different story and SOHC found themselves under a lot of pressure at the back and no outlets at the front, but the spirit the team has shown over the past few weeks kept them in the game despite Minehead getting a well deserved goal back. The game had one further goal, scored by Johnstone, his second of the game, to seal SOHC a third successive victory.
You may also want to watch:
This Saturday the fourth team travel to top of the table Bridgwater.
- 1 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 2 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 3 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 4 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 5 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 6 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 7 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
- 8 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 9 Young gardeners enjoy seeing the early fruits of their labour
- 10 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown