Join ladies in World’s Biggest Coffee Morning
This week the ladies of Sidmouth Golf Club have been in entertainment mode, writes Alison Cook.
Friday saw the club play host to 100 players from across Devon competing in the County Foursomes and Killard Leavey organised by the Devon County Ladies’ Veterans’ Association. Wednesday saw another 50 ladies descend upon the club for the annual Invitation Day when members traditionally invite a friend from another club to join them for a game .
This year invitees came from as far as Hampshire to take part in this popular event - popular since the invitation is usually reciprocal! Lady captain Anne Blackler,with a fiendish sense of humour devised a playing format for the day which was clearly designed to test the golfing skills of each partnership to the hilt .Six holes were played as a better ball, six with both scores counting and the final six were played as a greensome.
To win both players had to be “on song”.This feat was achieved by Margot Beauchamp of Sidmouth and her partner, Jane Easterbrook of Churston who came in with an excellent score of 43.
In second place were Dorthe Fowler of Sidmouth and Maureen Howard of East Devon with 42 points, in third place were Roz Eaton of Sidmouth with her guest, Wendy Taylor of Woodbury Park also with 42 points. Fourth place with 40 points went to Anne Blackler and Pauline Dibley also of Woodbury Park. Sheila Tallon was the only player to achieve a two .
You may also want to watch:
At the end of a busy and enjoyable period of golf the ladies will be making time to contribute to the Macmillan world’s biggest coffee morning to help families affected by cancer . On Friday 28th September. The clubhouse will be open from 10.30 -11.45 for coffee and yummy cakes. Why not come along to join them?
Everyone invited ,everyone welcome to support a good cause.
- 1 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 2 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss
- 3 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 4 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 5 Commemorative elm tree planted to mark National Tree Warden scheme's 30th anniversary
- 6 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 7 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 8 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 9 £12,500 donated to lockdown laptops for schools appeal
- 10 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out