Jones home first in latest Charles Stanley Monday Stableford at Sidmouth
- Credit: Archant
The Charles Stanley Monday Stableford was won this week by John Jones who scored 39 points, writes John Barnard.
Par for the Sidmouth course is 66 and John went round level gross. Known for his big hitting and birdie hunting, this week he managed four birdies, but also a no-score on hole 15.
He didn’t let it unsettle him though and bounced back with two birdies in the next three holes to win by two points.
It was the day for the low handicappers as league team captain Will Hastie (playing with a handicap of five), was second on 37 points, beating Matt Bavington (six handicap) on countback.
Will’s front nine was nothing to get excited about, but a one under gross back nine, including an eagle on the 13th kept him ahead of Matt.
You may also want to watch:
He birdied the 12th, but a bogie on 16 probably cost him a place.
In the eclectic, there are now five names at the top of the table with nett 50. Harrison Jones, Jonathan Lee, Simon Knowles and Mike Knight have now been joined by Howard Cushing, all fighting for the individual top spot.
- 1 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 2 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 3 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action
- 4 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 5 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 6 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 7 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 8 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 9 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 10 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
In the birdie count, John Jones surged ahead following his win and now leads by three points from Nick Gingell with Mike Knight a further two points back.