Jones stars as Sidmouth Warriors U11s are beaten by Ottery
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Warriors Under-11s went down 7-1 when they met Ottery St Mary in an Exeter and District Youth League contest.
There was something of a ‘low key’ start to the match, but Warriors fashioned the first effort on goal at either end when Lucas Vicary saw a well-driven strike go just wide.
A contentious decision went against the Warriors and Ottery took full advantage, scoring with a set-piece, and quickly doubled their lead.
However, Warriors were soon back in the contest when a terrific pass from Vicary released Lucas O’Connor and he laid it off for the supporting run of Taylan Jones who, in turn, picked his spot and drilled the ball into the bottom left corner of the net.
Soon after, things went horribly wrong for Warriors as a succession of sloppy decisions in defence were clinically punished by the Otters, who added four more goals to hold a commanding 6-1 half-time advantage.
You may also want to watch:
During the interval, Warriors made a number of positional changes and began the second half with the ‘goal machine’ that is Lucas Vicary wearing the goalkeeping gloves and Oscar Finch was also given a new task, taking charge of organising the back line.
The changes worked and, throughout the second period, Warriors gave as good as they got – and then some!
- 1 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 2 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 3 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 4 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 5 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 6 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 7 Talking Newspapers set to restart service
- 8 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 9 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
- 10 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
Vicary made a number of outstanding saves while Laurence Coles, who was moved into a midfield berth, made a number of excellent runs deep into the Otters’ half.
Ottery did manage one further goal, albeit late in the contest. Taylan Jones was named the Warriors’ Man of the Match after his impressive all-round display.