Josh Bess returns as Sidmouth reach halfway mark in Tolchards League season
- Credit: Archant
The halfway stage of the Tolchards Devon Cricket League is reached on Saturday (July 1) and Sidmouth host Plymouth fresh from handing out a 172-run hiding to North Devon, writes Conrad Sutcliffe.
North Devon skipper Ed Yeo tipped Sidmouth to win the Premier Division after the game, which is some prediction for a side 42 points behind the leaders.
Sidmouth heard that sort of stuff at the start of the season when rival captains predicted the 2016 champions would walk the league.
Skipper Luke Bess was unconvinced then and nothing has changed.
“Its nice to have that said, but it doesn’t mean anything,” said Bess. “We need to focus on our cricket.”
You may also want to watch:
Josh Bess returns to the side with his brother and captain saying: “We will be looking to build on a good team performance last week.”
Plymouth need a win in a hurry to start climbing away from the red zone.
- 1 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 2 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 3 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 4 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 5 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 6 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 7 Talking Newspapers set to restart service
- 8 When it comes to our beach, its about taking responsibility for what we do
- 9 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
- 10 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
Fahad Ali is in holiday so left-arm spinner Dave Burke is in. Rob Bennett out and Joe Hagan-Burt replaces him.
“Sidnouth, away, will be a tough game as always and they have climbed up the table as expected.
“We need to take our chances this week and put in a good account of ourselves.”