Josh Bess top scores as Sidmouth are rained off in coastal derby
- Credit: Archant
Josh Bess struck a splendid 93 as Sidmouth’s batsmen finally recorded a 250 plus score, but it was not enough to bring victory as the rains arrived 15 overs into the Exmouth reply to wash away any hope of a result in what looked set to be an intriguing coastal derby at the Fortfield.
Josh Bess faced 97 balls for his 93, hitting 14 fours and one six. Zac Bess weighed in with an 82-ball knock of 72, hitting six fours and two sixes – the pair put on 101 in 20 overs and one delivery for the third wicket, taking the Fortfield men from 74-2 to 175-3.
Scott Barlow chipped in with a run-a-ball 30 to boost the later stages of the innings as Sidmouth closed on 269-7.
Exmouth, and in particular Sandy Allen, made a fine start and were 68-1 when the rain washed out any chance of the contest seeing a result.
The one wicket to fall was that of David Lye who was caught by Anthony Griffiths off the bowling of Will Murray.
You may also want to watch:
After one-third of the league season, Sidmouth have 61 points and sit fourth bottom. It’s a very close top flight this season – with the exception of current leaders Bovey Tracey who have now won all six of their matches and sit 23 points clear at the top.
Sidmouth are six points better off than basement side Plymouth, but also just 17 points shy of third in the table Paignton.
- 1 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 2 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 3 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 4 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 5 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 6 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help
- 7 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 8 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 9 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 10 New team on frontline for mental health care and support