Junior football round up

Hemyock 1, Sidmouth TJV U16s 1 League

Sidmouth should have won this match by 5 or 6 goals, based on the fact they were camped in the Hemyock half for the vast majority of the second period of this match, writes Richard Seldon.

Somehow, Hemyock survived- credit should go to their dogged defence that refused to concede, but Sidmouth should have converted at least one of the dozen or so chances that came their way.

Connor Ellis eventually scored, much to the relief of the spectators, but Sidmouth continually took wrong options.

Read full report on www.sidmouthherald.co.uk

You may also want to watch:

The first half was more even as Sidmouth took time to get to grips with the very long grass. Barney Cooper, who had a very composed debut, hit a 25-yard screamer just wide and Henry Ho used his pace to get past his full-back, only to smash the ball into the side-netting. Against the run of play, Hemyock scored off their only corner. Sidmouth then started to work the ball into the Hemyock box, with Billy Eveleigh using the space on the right to support Ho by putting in some good crosses. Chances started to come and go, and the travelling Sidmouth support collectively sighed with relief as the hard-working Conor Ellis drilled home a loose ball after Doug Still’s free kick caused chaos in the box.

The second half saw Sidmouth in total charge, though Dan Hulin and Riordan Deehan-Jackson had to ‘keep the back-door shut’ as Hemyock had the occasional break away attack and Eveleigh put in one great saving tackle.

Most Read

Joe Blackmore had a super match in midfield, working tirelessly and creating chances by passing the ball into space, ably supported by the energy of Doug Still, Lee Clayden and Will Jenkins.

But the clocked ticked down as Sidmouth made wrong decisions at the crucial moment;- either choosing to shoot when a team-mate was better-positioned, getting caught offside when patience would have seen them in on goal, or snatching at the ball when they had the time to take a touch and make sure of the chance. Even when the ball did hit the back of the net, the fleet-footed Henry Ho was flagged offside. Ho then beat the keeper but saw his lob cleared off the line, Blackmore shot marginally over, and Ellis saw a number of efforts fly straight at the keeper.

A frustrating result, but the boys should be pleased that they are creating so many good chances and, on another day, would have won this game with comfort.

Sidmouth TJV U12 Raiders 3,

Avishayes Falcons 6

Raiders had a tough encounter against top of the table Avishayes Falcons, writes Mark Skelding.

The game on the whole was quite a close affair with Raiders and Falcon’s sharing the possession. Avishayes started well, rushing to a 2 goal lead early in the first half, which was clawed back to 2-1 with an excellent solo effort from Hughes who ran through to slot home, but unfortunately Sidmouth conceded again just before half time.

Sidmouth proved resilient in the second half with a skilfully executed goal by Parsons straight into the bottom corner to get them back into the game. Avishayes kept the pressure on to increase the score line and with the help of a few lapses in concentration by Sidmouth and some curious referee decisions. Raffell scored a late consolation goal with a looping shot from distance over the goal keeper, definitely a consideration for goal of the season.

In conclusion Sidmouth should be very happy with their performance, they maintained a solid defence with some great saves from both goal keepers, with outstanding passes from the midfield section and strong attacking. Certainly on any other day they would have got something from this game.

ttery Girls 2, Barnstaple Girls 3

This was an end to end match, played in great spirit, writes Dale Strawbridge.

Ottery were playing in their new red/white kit, kindly sponsored by Peter Hutchings Logistics.

Ottery took the lead after 12 minutes with Cartwright latching onto a chipped ball over the top of the Barnstaple defence by Horner. They had a second ruled offside, Tucker slotting in a rebounding penalty.

Ottery continued to pressure and soon after were awarded a penalty after a handball occurred in the Barnstaple 18yard box. Barter stepped up to take the penalty and was unfortunate not to score but the keeper tipped on to the crossbar and rebounded out to Tucker who slotted in and was unfortunate to find her goal ruled out by an offside call! From this 20 minute spell of dominance Barnstaple stepped up their game and Ottery looked all over the place and within the 30th minute mark on the game found themselves 2-1 down, both teams saw out the rest of the half 2-1.

Ottery manager at half time asked them what their ambitions were for the season, to weather they wanted to challenge for a top mid table finish or to have a kick about with their mates, the Ottery girls came out of the break determined to change the current score line.

Within 2 minutes of the half Barnstaple broke through the Ottery’s defence and slotted a shot away which had minimal pressure from defender and lack of effort from keeper! This fuelled Ottery to impact on the game and they changed to a more attacking formation from 4-5-1 to 3-5-2 to put some added pressure on the opposition defence and looked at times as if they were going to break through with Cartwright & Jenkins. The next 20 minutes went by with end-to end football with only a couple chances for each side. Ottery scored their 2nd goal on the 30th minute with a wonderfully crafted solo effort from Horner who picked the ball up inside her own half dribbled all down the left wing to swing a ball into the box with her unfavoured left foot, where Cartwright was lurching to score her and Ottery’s 2nd. Ottery were the dominant team with 10 minutes to go and were unfortunate and close to getting a thirrd goal. Barnstaple were the winners in a match that was action-packed, end-to-end and played in great spirit. Ottery’s 2nd half performance impressed the manager but the team know that there needs to be vast improvements at training to fulfil their season ambitions.

GOTM from today’s match went to Layzell in defence who played an excellent game, proved her capabilities in her new position, played the full 80 minutes and put in every effort throughout the match!

Ottery line-up: Packer, Layzell, Lacey, Wills, Hutchings, Feast, Horner, Barter, Jenkins, Tucker & Cartwright (C): subs; Dyer-Hansford, Cake & Billing

Sidmouth TJV Warriors U8s v Brix Blues U8s

Another brave-heart performance saw Sidmouth Warriors lose against Brixington Blues.

Joe Ashby performed heroics in the Sidmouth goal, at one point saving three consecutive point-blank shots. Sidmouth's performance was praised by Brixington as the best team they have played this season, and they can draw heart from a battling team performance.

Sid Warriors U8s 1 Heavitree SC Utd (U8s) 1

A Ben Chapman goal gave Sidmouth a share of the points in a closely fought encounter.

Benedict Teague was outstanding in defence for the Warriors. The Warriors had much possession & pressure but Heavitree always looked dangerous on the counter attack.

Sidmouth Raiders 3 , Dalwish United 0

AFter an early morning start, Raiders didn't take long to control the game, passing the ball around well for thefirst 15 minutes without scoring, writes Martin Spiller.

The Raiders saw their first chance when Max Peacock broke through Dawlsh defence and set up Thomas Moore to screech the ball into the net. Man of the Match Luke Spiller’s determination on the wing gave him the second goal, beating players as he ran up it before scoring.

Dawlish fought back in the second half, but Oran Bramble and the defenders kept them out.

The final goal of the game came from new boy Max Peacock, who scored when a free corner was sent to his waiting foot . Go Max!

Sidmouth TJ Vs U9s Raiders 0, Twyford Spartans 4

The Raiders suffered defeat despite an at times, bright performance, writes Alan Hallett.

The work rate and effort was excellent. Toby Whitfield earned his Man of the Match award with a tireless performance in midfield, while alongside him, CJ Abbot never stopped trying. Up front Samuel Burhop, despite a lack of service, never gave up and put in his best performance of the season and almost grabbing a consolation goal.

STJV U9s Raiders 0, Moors Youth 4

The Raiders struggled to get any kind of rhythm going against Moors Youth. Ben Harrison, deputising in goal was given a torrid time as the visitors launched wave after wave of attack.Man of the match Freddie Squire defended excellently. Going forward too many passes failed to reach their target. and leaving the raiders with only the occaisional chances.

Hemyock 0 West Hill Wasps U10s 10

Playing their best football of the season West Hill powered to an impressive win away to Hemyock, writes Mark Pugsley.

Goals came from Ollie Pugsley, 3, James Horler, 4, Jonathan Pitcher, 2, and Will Amos. Thomas Simmons was particularly impressive being able to push forward and control midfield with Ben Marsh.

Colyton 0 West Hill 6

West Hill continued their domination against Colyton and raced to a 5-0 half time lead with goals from Ollie Pugsley 2, Ben Marsh, Thomas Simmons and Jonathan Pitcher.

Dominic Harrower rarely troubled in goal was able to pull off a fantastic penalty save to continue his clean sheets. Will Amos completed the scoring with a great through ball from Alex.

A great football display boys.

Sidmouth FC Raiders U8 v Heavitree

The first half of this match was a tough battle, writes Chris Roberts.

The Raiders played home fixtures against Heavitree SC and Brixington Blues. In the game against Heavitree SC the first half was a tight battle with Heavitree taking a half time lead via a wonder strike from distance. In the second half the Raiders pushed hard for the equaliser with some good attacking and strong defending from Heavitree, as the game proceeded The Raiders where caught four times on the break leaving the final score 5-0.

In the 2nd game against the Brixington Blues the Raiders where not only dwarfed in size but skill as well. The Raiders as normal never dropped their heads and battled right to the end recieving praise from the travelling coach and fans, at the final whistle with the score at 8-0 The raiders showed team spirit above their years congratulating ther opponents and encouraging each other.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus