Junior football roundup

Ottery St Mary Firegirls' U11s beat Plainmoor Girls 1-0, writes Paul Raynolds.

Ottery St Mary Firegirls' U11s beat Plainmoor Girls 1-0, writes Paul Raynolds.Ottery added another well-needed three points to their tally which may prove to be vital in the title race. The Firegirls took the lead early on, when Kayleigh Bull provided a perfect cross to Dionne Courtney who got the tap in. Ottery kept their foot on the gas, creating chance after chance but the ball just wouldn't hit the back of the net. Plainmoor came up with their own chances but the Firegirls stood tall, gritted their teeth and battled hard to keep it 1-0 till half time. Ottery changed tactics at the break, playing two defensive midfielders. This gave the girls an extra line of defence and kept it tight at the back. Plainmoor created chance after chance but couldn't beat the Ottery back line. Plainmoor hit the post on one occasion and some wonderful saves from keepers Hayley Moxom and then, later, Ashleigh Bull, kept the Firegirls ahead. Sidmouth FC Raiders U10s drew 0-0 with Central City FC 1st Team U10s, writes Kim Lever.From beginning to end Raiders kept pressure on Central City, seeing lots of goalmouth action. Josh Solman and Jonathon Surtees defended well and tackled their opponents to win the ball and pass up the pitch, creating chances for Roel Ruigrok, James Clarke and Freddie King. Johnny Dunn in goal made some great saves. Both teams played really well, but remained goalless at full-time.Sidmouth FC Raiders U10s beat Central City 2nd team U10s 3-0, writes Kim Lever.Raiders, on the attack again in this second match, saw an early goal from Tyler Hillier, before Central City had a chance at a shot. Will Counsell, in goal, during the first half made a great save. Josh Solman tackled well and cleared the ball to enable Freddie King to score the second goal before half time. Will Counsell scored quickly at the start of the second half. Roel Ruigrok had a shot but hit the goal post. Jack West did well to clear the ball from the Raiders' goalmouth and stopped Central City scoring. This was a good team effort from the Raiders.Sidmouth Warriors U10s beat Central United 4-0, writes Jo Newbery. Sidmouth started brightly and went forward from the start. A great run from Jacob Rowe, who beat two players and crossed the ball for Ben Miller to volley home. Sidmouth continued to dominate and Ben Miller's superb shot went in off the underside of the bar for a 2-0 lead at half time. Finlay Marks found Connor Murphy who rounded the keeper and slotted the ball home shortly after the restart. Central pushed forward and Harvey Sargeant in goal made a fine save. Ollie Jarrett found Rowe and he produced a fine finish to make it 4-0. Alex Stone, taking a turn in the Sidmouth goal, made a great save and, in the final minute, Jamie Newbery had his shot pushed onto the post by the keeper. This was a competent 4-0 victory for the WarriorsSidmouth Warriors U10s beat Central City 2-0, writes Jo Newbery Sidmouth were on top from the start but were unlucky when a Murphy shot came back off the post. Sidmouth continued to push forward and got their reward when Rowe beat the defender and smashed the ball home. With Newbery and Sargeant dominating at the back, Central were always under pressure and never looked like scoring. Stone set up Joe Miller but his shot was well-saved by the keeper. The second half went the same way as the first and Marks set up Miller, who poked the ball just wide. Rowe put in a brilliant corner that was volleyed home by Joe Miller. Ben Miller was unlucky not to score and it finished 2-0.Next week Sidmouth will need to be on top of their game for the semi final of the U10s cup against Thorverton. Good luck boys!Sidmouth FC JV u14s lost 3-1 to Moors Youth, writes Scott Newbery.Playing against top of the league was always going to be tough but Sidmouth were determined to get revenge for their 5-0 thrashing at the hands of Moors earlier in the season. Moors started the better, but the first shot took seven minutes to come and was just wide. Some good play from Joe Nield, Luke Warriner and Eoin Ross gave Ollie Tollerfield a chance to stretch his legs and he linked up well with Ricki Harris and James Beckenham. Then, a long ball was headed past Scott Newbery but was cleared by Connor Male and the ball rolled agonisingly close to the post. From the corner a free player headed the ball goalwards and Mike Feeney headed onto the bar. Five minutes later Tollerfield beat the goalie to the ball and poked it home to make it 1-0 Sidmouth. Just before the end of the half, a Moors player got injured and the Sidmouth players went off for a drink and lost their concentration, Moors scoring on the restart. Sidmouth started the second half a bit slow, Moors having better chances and, midway through the half, they scored. A few minutes later a corner came in, hit Cameron Marshall-Harris and forced Newbery to save it on the line. From another corner a player headed the ball home to make it 3-1 to Moors. Tom Gibbs and Connor Male kept Moors at bay but the one time they were breached a high ball was headed clear by Newbery who got a kick in the head for his troubles. Man Of The Match was Joe Nield who played excellently in the centre of the midfield. Next week Sidmouth face Pinhoe and this will be another tough test for Sidmouth.Sidbury Utd beat Pinhoe away 2-1, writes Julie Logan. They had to work extremely hard for this win and found it difficult to break down a very determined Pinhoe side. Although Utd played with a totally new look to the left side of the team, it should not have caused the confusion that it initially seemed to. Daniel Greenland steadied the Utd defence. Midfielders Scott Redman, George Hathaway and Billy Reed battled, and pressed well the entire game. Sidbury were finding it difficult to turn possession into goals.With just 10 minutes of the first half remaining, a great move started with Billy Reed picking the ball up in midfield. He slid a pass to Todd Lewendon who beat his defender and put the ball coolly into the path of Harry Wright who smashed the ball home. Sidbury had a couple more chances to score following moves down their right side, but were unable to make the best of the final ball.The second half was much the same, Aaron Pearse was his normal reliable self, covering every blade of grass on the pitch. Kieran Murphy went on a great solo run from his own half, and had a quick one-two with Todd Lewendon only to see his final effort tipped round the post. United had several other chancesCentre half Toby Bouganeau had to replace keeper Daryl Young after he came out and saved bravely at the feet of the Pinhoe striker, Bouganeau, although initially reluctant, pulled off a great save towards the end and saved the day. Kai Fletcher did well when he came on, making an instant impression. Jamie James too, did well when he got on in the right of midfield .Ben Logan can consider himself extremely unlucky when he smashed a shot from well outside the box only to see it thunder against the Pinhoe bar. Harry Wright, who had moved to centre half, scored a cracker from the edge of the box, giving the Pinhoe keeper .Pinhoe pulled a goal back straight from the restart with Utd still with their minds elsewhere. It was an entertaining game, which both sides played with a great attitude. West Hill Wasps U10s played host to the top sides in the league and can count themselves very unlucky not to win both games never mind to come away with nothing, writes Steve Flinders.The games had to be played at Kings School as the Wasps' usual home pitch at Tipton St John was in use.First game saw the Wasps take on Dawlish United and they started straight on the attack. Josh Goddard had a header saved from a Tom Badcott corner. A Dawlish break down the left was dealt with by Tom Hays then the Wasps pushed forward again and Josh set up Kyle Stone, who turned and shot just wide.In the second half, the Wasps were still very much on top and Shaun Jepson brilliantly set up Kyle Stone who shot against the bar. Another good Tom Badcott corner found Ricky Pollington, who's header was parried by the keeper Shaun Jepson followed up but the keeper pounced on it. All the good work by the Wasps was undone when, totally against the run of play, United scored after a good save by Callum Hardwick but he had no chance with the follow up. The Wasps looked for an equaliser and Shaun Jepson had a fine effort cleared off the line in the last minute. In the second game, league leaders Newton Abbot 66, took an early lead after an unfortunate miss hit by Jac Khaliq and the striker ran on to score. Kyle Stone almost got the Wasps back level when he shot just wide.Newton Abbot increased their lead after the break when a low shot through a crowd of players found the bottom corner of the net. The Wasps tried to get back into the game and a brilliant Shaun Jepson chip, with the outside of his boot, brought the save of the day from the visitors' keeper as he just got his fingertips to the ball to tip it just over. The Wasps Man of the Match was Kyle Stone who, on any other day, would have found himself on the score sheet.In the other games The WEST HILL Hornets U10s lost 1-0 to Newton Abbot 66 and then lost 2-1 to Dawlish United with James Beresford scoring and Bardia Ashtari getting Man of the Match. Sidmouth Raiders U11 played in a Plate Tournament saw the winners of the group going through to the final. The first game saw the Raiders draw 0-0 with Hemyock which came as no surprise with this being their third recent meeting. The second game against Cully Rangers saw the Raiders create several chances but were unlucky not to score. Cully also had their chances, but Mark Pearse defended solidly yet again. The final game saw the Raiders apply pressure right from the start, knowing a win would see them with a good chance of reaching the final. They took a deserved lead, which stunned the watching parents, as Josh Edwards, the smallest player on the pitch, scored with a header. Alphington equalised with the best goal of the group games. The Raiders, well led by the captain Joe Cox, could not capitalise on their pressure and fell behind to a bad bit of luck when Adam Bartlett, in goal, went down to pick up the ball which bounced off a divet straight over his hand. Parents' Player of the Tournament was Josh Edwards.

You may also want to watch:

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus