Junior football roundup
Tiverton Town 1
Sidmouth Tn JVRaiders U8s 0
Raiders’ first game after the Christmas break saw them slip to a last gasp defeat. Despite looking rusty, Raiders matched their opponents without ever really threatening to score themselves. They looked to have earned a hard fought draw before late hesitancy in defence saw Tiverton grab the winner from close range.
Will Bond in goal, helped out by Man of the Match Noah Raffell, who worked hard to get his tackles in, dealt well the Tiverton attack until the last minute when a lapse let in the home side to score from close range. At the other end Raiders too often lost possession before creating scoring chances.
Twyford Spartans 9
You may also want to watch:
Sidmouth Tn JV Raiders U8s 0
Lack of match practice showed as Raiders suffered a heavy defeat against a good Twyford Spartans side which blasted six early goals against a shell-shocked Raiders who looked off the pace from the start.
- 1 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 2 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 3 Commemorative elm tree planted to mark National Tree Warden scheme's 30th anniversary
- 4 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 5 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 6 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 7 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 8 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 9 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss
- 10 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
The first half saw Twyford pepper the Raiders’ goal with shots forcing good saves and goal line clearances from a desperate Raiders’ defence.
It was a little more even after the break as Raiders improved defensively. Man of the Match, Louis Silk, led by example, tackling all over the pitch while Stanley Richardson, in goal, made some great saves.
Despite the improvement, Twyford scored three more times in the second half to complete a comfortable victory.