Keech shortlisted for Rio
The day after Sophie Keech won the Lyme Regis Golf Club Championship for the third year running, she won the Junior Sports Performer Of The Year at Millfield School and has been shortlisted for the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.
The presentation night at Millfield started with an Olympic feel as John McFall, former Millfield pupil and bronze medallist at the 2008 Paralympics in Beijing, was interviewed by the hosts of an Oscar-style ceremony.
There was a massive TV screen which showed the Millfield's sports stars along with their achievements. The competition was very strong, with three students short-listed for the sports award and Keech was presented with a framed certificate by John McFall.
Keech was also been announced as one of five Millfield Sports pupils short-listed for the 2016 Rio De Janeiro Olympics and this was a great talking point of the evening.
Keech said: "After seeing the other two girls’ accolades, I really had no idea I would win and when they said my name in front of such a large, talented audience it was the most surreal moment of my life so far. I still can't quite believe it. I had my family and coach Karen Nicholls there supporting me which made the evening even more special."
You may also want to watch:
At the Sports Presentation dinner Sophie also went on to receive her First Millfield School Team full sports colours.
The evening was completed by a talk from another former Millfield pupil and 2012 Olympic gold medal hopeful, Helen Glover, who will be pairing with Heather Stanning in rowing this summer.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 3 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 4 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 5 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 6 Young Vikings enjoy victory on the main pitch
- 7 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 8 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 9 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 10 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future