Keech turns professional
- Credit: Archant
Dorset golfer Sophie Keech is targeting a Ladies European tour card after deciding to turn professional on a hugely successful amateur career.
Sophie is currently playing by invite in the WPGA International Challenge, the final tournament of the Let Access Series , at Stoke-by-Nayland in Suffolk in what is her first event as a professional.
The 19-year-old, a member of Parkstone Golf Club will be heading to Morocco at the end of this month to take part in pre-qualifying for a place on the European Tour .
Coched by Millfield School’s Karen Nicholls, and managed by Tony Brinsley, Keech says: “After the English match play that I won on July my coach said I was ready to turn professional and I felt it was the right time to do it , I didn’t feel I had anything to lose.”
“I’d been an amateur for a while , finished this season second in the English rankings , and I always want to push myself , so now I am going to be a small fish in a big pond now!”
You may also want to watch:
Keech is also looking for sponsorship as she bids to take her game to the next level.
She says: “If I get through pre-qalifying I have to go back in December for final tour qualifying. If that goes well then I will get a European tour card. If not then I’ll play on the LET Access tour next year.
- 1 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 2 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 3 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 4 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 5 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 6 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
- 7 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 8 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 9 Young gardeners enjoy seeing the early fruits of their labour
- 10 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
“I’m very excited about the challenges ahead and fulfilling my ambition I’ve dreamt of from a young age. My dream is about to start!”